Denver, CO – Several people were injured when an RTD bus and multiple other vehicles collided in Arapahoe County. during rush hour. The crash took place on August 25, at 7 a.m., on Parker Road just south of East Orchard, along one of the routes to the Denver International Airport. For the time being, it is unclear if people on the bus were among the wounded. Also, the cause of the accident has not been established yet.
Who can file a bus accident lawsuit in Denver?
If you were injured or if you lost someone in this type of crash, you must first speak with an experienced accident lawyer in Denver.
People who can file a bus accident lawsuit include:
- Passengers on the bus
- Drivers or passengers in other cars that get hit by a bus,
- Bicyclists who get hit by a bus
- Pedestrians hit by a bus
What are the main causes of bus accidents in Denver?
Your lawyers will want to see the police report to determine what happened. The most common causes of bus accidents in Denver are:
- Distracted driving
- Fatigued driving
- Driver error / Traffic rule violation
- Mechanical failure, like a problem with the steering system, the brakes, or a blown tire.
Who can you sue if you were hit by a bus in Denver?
Your lawyers will examine the case and tell you who you can sue: the driver, the bus company, or both.
If you were severely injured and sustained considerable damages, your lawyers will try to build a case against the company operating the bus as it is unlikely the driver has the means to cover your losses.
You can sue the company under the vicarious liability doctrine, according to which the employer is responsible for the damages caused by an employee while on duty.
What happens if I was hit by a public transport bus?
If you were injured in an incident involving a public transport bus, your lawyers will file a lawsuit against the local authorities. This type of lawsuit is more complex, as you must follow the established procedure.
First of all you have to file a notice to sue with the agency that runs a public service. The notice must include a detailed statement of what happened, a summary of injuries, the amount of damages you’re seeking, as well as the name and address of your Denver accident lawyers.
Keep in mind that different statutes of limitations apply in an accident caused by a public transport bus. While for other types of accidents you have three years to file a claim, if you were involved in a bus crash you must send a notice to sue within 180 days of the incident.
In a personal injury claim you can seek compensatory damages, which are of two types:
- Economic damages covering your medical expenses and lost wages
- Non-economic damages to compensate you for your pain and suffering, both mental and physical. If you’re suing local authorities, pain and suffering damages are capped at $350,000 and you cannot seek punitive damages.
If you were recently injured or you lost someone in a bus accident in Denver, you should contact an experienced accident lawyer at the Bryan&Terrill law firm to see how to proceed with your case.
333 W. Hampden Ave., #420B
Englewood, CO 80110
- Nebraska teen killed in crash involving school bus - September 4, 2022
- Who’s liable for damages in a Votran bus accident in Daytona Beach? - August 27, 2022
- Several hurt in RTD bus crash near Denver - August 26, 2022