Whether the accident involved a city bus, school bus, or private charter bus, you have legal rights and it is time you become aware of what they are.
If you or your child were involved in a bus accident in Atlanta, GA and you suffered any type of injury (i.e. physical and/or psychological), there are certain rights you have, some of which we will share with you below. Knowing what your rights are may not only grant you access to financial relief to pay for the way the incident has impacted your life, but they can also help you recognize the driver who may have been responsible for causing the accident.
What are my legal rights if my child or I was involved in a bus accident?
- You have the right to hire a bus accident attorney in Atlanta, GA who can assess the incident and determine if you have a viable case against the bus driver and/or the bus company.
- You hold the right to recover compensation from the insurance company. Whether it be your insurer or the carrier the city, school district, or company purchased a policy from, you are likely entitled to recover compensation for things like medical bills, lost wages, and more. Generally, bus companies and government entities are required to carry large amounts of insurance coverage, some of which you might be entitled to receive depending on the injuries you suffered.
Tip: Insurance carriers will often provide accident victims with low-ball settlement offers so before you sign any documents, you should have an experienced Atlanta, GA bus accident attorney review them first. Did you know that once you agree to a settlement from the insurer, you will not be allowed to pursue the liable party or the insurer for any additional money?
- You have the right to file a personal injury or wrongful death lawsuit against the party who was responsible or partially responsible for causing the bus accident. If you are unable to collect a fair amount of compensation from the insurance company, you might consider filing a lawsuit in an effort to collect more. If you or your child suffered an injury, you will want to file a personal injury lawsuit. Given you obtain a successful outcome, you could recover compensation for the following:
- Pain and suffering
- Past and future medical expenses
- Mental anguish
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Lost wages
- Loss of consortium
In the event the bus accident resulted in the death of a family member, you might consider filing a wrongful death lawsuit on their behalf.
Parents File Suit on Behalf of Their Injured Children Who Were Involved in GA School Bus Accident
In 2016, a school bus accident occurred in Muscogee County, GA that resulted in the death of the bus driver, Roy Newman, and seven children suffering injuries [Source: Ledger-Enquirer]. In 2018, the parents of two of the passengers decided to file suit on behalf of their kids, seeking more than $3 million in damages for the injuries they suffered. The lawsuit named Newman’s estate as well as the Muscogee County School District as defendants in the case.
If the injuries you or your child suffered in a bus crash in Atlanta are serious or life-threatening and you are interested in learning more about your rights and how you can use them to recover the compensation you need and deserve, contact USAttorneys.com today. We can connect you with some of the best bus accident attorneys in Atlanta, GA who can provide you with the legal advice you might be needing right about now.
- Sheriff’s Deputy in Florida Uses Stun Gun on 70 Year Old Woman - May 5, 2020
- How Do Bus Accident Attorneys Help Victims of Bus Collisions? - January 10, 2020
- Mini Coach Bus Accident Attorney Explains Who You Can Sue if Injured in a Bus Collision - January 10, 2020